Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Wedding Shawl started...


My yarn shipment arrived on Monday and so I was able to start the shawl on time. The Alpaca lace weight yarn is really fine and I had to go down to a much smaller needle to get the look I wanted. Knowing that using such a small size would mean I would not get this shawl done by the wedding date (July 1st), much less the shower date, I tried doubling the yarn and using a size 6 needle. I like how it looks and as I handle the yarn I find I like it even more than I thought I would. My sample skein of that yarn feels fairly smooth but after knitting, it looks and feels like a lightly brushed yarn, not fuzzy enough to distort or blur the stitches, but adding a nice soft feel to the fabric.

I was concerned that using two strands of such fine yarn would be difficult to work with, but the yarn isn't slippery so it's not a problem. There is enough yardage in one skein that even doubled I'll be able to make the largest size if I want to... but I doubt I'll have the time for one so large.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lark said...

Eve, your daughter is so lucky to have a mother like you! What a lovely wedding gift. I like the look of it. Where did you get the yarn?

Lark

9:41 AM  
Blogger fiberfanatic said...

Gorgeous, Eve!

4:24 PM  
Blogger Eve/Divine Fibers & Yarn said...

Thank you Lark! My daughter really appreciates everything I make for her and so I'm happy to make this for her. I bought the alpaca yarn from one of my wholesale yarn suppliers. If you are looking for some of this, I have some available on my website www.spinningkarma.com.

Eve

6:25 PM  
Blogger Margaret Pittman/Heritage Yarns said...

Really nice, Eve! Are you going to finish your shawl in the Bed & Breakfast colorway? That's pretty too.

9:49 PM  
Blogger Eve/Divine Fibers & Yarn said...

Margaret, I do plan to finish the first shawl I started, that one I will most likely keep for me or give to someone special. That will be my takealong project and also will work on it when my daughter is around, which is a lot for someone who doesn't live at home. Keeping the wedding shawl a secret means having to hide it when she comes.

5:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home