Friday, May 19, 2006

Wedding Shawl progress...

Like Theresa, I am now at the point where I'm wondering how much longer I should make this shawl.

If worn only with a wedding gown, it doesn't really matter if it is long. If Tina is to use it any other time, do I want it to be very long? I've used 3 oz. out of 8 oz. of superfine alpaca. Because I'm using it doubled, I started out with a little more than 1237 yards.. If my math is correct, so early in the morning and after only one cup of coffee, I've used almost 465 yards so far, does that sound right? The pattern calls for 600 yards for a shoulder wrap, 1000 for a large shawl, but I may not be knitting at the same gauge as the pattern. I'm thinking I should knit for about another ounce and then stop and see where I am, maybe block the tip to get an idea of much larger it will be when blocked.

I'm suprised at how fast this is growing using size 6 needles and how light it feels even with 2 strands. I'm really liking this alpaca yarn and if I don't use up this skein, will use the remainder, single strand for a gossamer weight shawl.

A little oops yesterday... I accidently snagged the shawl yesterday, catching just one strand, of course. Took me a few minutes to tug it back into shape while holding my breath... whew!

Just 3 weeks till the shower!

3 Comments:

Blogger fiberfanatic said...

Amazing how it grows, almost despite ourselves! I'm looking forward to pictures!

Mary

12:28 PM  
Blogger fiberfanatic said...

Hey Eve, It has taken me this long to realize who you are! sigh Hi!

Eve and I used to live within a few miles of each other! Small world, eh? Eve does fantastic work in everything!

1:00 PM  
Blogger Eve/Divine Fibers & Yarn said...

Yes indeed we did! I have you to thank for learning how to weave on an inkle and triangle loom. I taught my daughter how to use the inkle loom and she makes guitar straps. And every time I use the triangle loom, I think of you!

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home