Thursday, May 18, 2006


Hi Everyone. I have enjoyed seeing everyone's progress and what colors you are doing your shawls! I have been a little blue lately and haven't been knitting as much as I should. That is pretty pathetic when you haven't felt like knitting! LOL I am moving right along though and getting to the point where rows are taking longer and longer. I have 22 repeats across. I pinned it up to see what it was looking like. It is not blocked although the left side is stretched a little. As it is now if it was blocked it would probably be about 68-70" across. I am concerned because the person who will receive the shawl has been described to me as between my mother and I in size (helpful, huh?!) and so I am guessing is about a size 20. I know from personal experience that triangular shawls are just not made for plus size women! But I want this to be useful, not just pretty! So I am going to keep on knitting for several more inches. My concern with this is that unblocked the length is now over 30". I know I can block less vigorously in the vertical direction but I do not want to distorted it either. Do you think I will be making it look freakish if I keep on going and make one huge shawl...I'm thinking about 84"? The person who will receive it gets chemo, so I want her to be able to wrap up in it if she wants to or lay it over her lap if she is chilled. I would appreciate input. In the future when I make shawls for larger women, myself included, I will probably be doing Faroese shaped shawls from Myrna Stahman's patterns. Nothing wrong with Jackie's lovely pattern. I just re-read what I wrote and I do not mean to indicate that! I just meant that I did not do a good job of matching the pattern to the recipient! :o)Posted by Picasa

6 Comments:

Blogger Cary ~ My Wool Mitten at Serenity Farms said...

Oh, it looks breathtaking!!!!

Hugs,
Cary

7:28 PM  
Blogger fiberfanatic said...

Theresa,

This is a gorgeous shawl! I agree a larger shawl would be better for your friend, to wrap around her during her chemo sessions. How about printing off some of the photos for her, so she gets some alternative ideas of how to wear it?

Mary

8:15 PM  
Blogger Margaret Pittman/Heritage Yarns said...

Theresa, it won't look too large on her as a larger woman. It will be a beautiful shawl.

And, also, don't forget about Jackie's Faroese shawls. Not to say that Myrna Stahman's are not great patterns. I am just a little partial to Jackie and her patterns. (-:

Hugs,
Margaret

9:34 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will print out the pictures to show her. I was just mostly worried about the point dragging on the ground! I'll have to take a look at Jackie's Faroese shawls, I have seen them. Mainly I was thinking of Myrna's because she has instructions on how to fit them and upsize them, the eternal issue for plus size knitting, but probably I could use her instructions and adapt Jackie's patterns. I did get that one with the hearts from you Margaret!

11:30 PM  
Blogger Lark said...

Theresa,

I just came across a knitting site called www.ample-knitters.com. It has lots of help with ways to make patterns over for plus sizes. You might find some interesting shawls there too. I am a fairly tall woman with an ample chest, and I've never not wanted to wear shawls. I may look like the unsinkable Molly Brown to others, but I feel like a goddess wrapped in a shawl.

Lark

12:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Theresa, It looks beautiful! Your friend is going to love this shawl, no matter what size it is.

Eve

6:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home