Saturday, May 06, 2006

Lifelines?

Surely would be nice if there was a way, Kate, but I don't know of a way. I tried a variation of Cary's this afternoon and used a fine blocking wire. Unfortunately, it didn't work as I refused to give up the lifeline and carried it with the knitting up onto the needle. Between the knitting, the wire lifeline, markers and needle, it became impossible for me to knit. Bound to be a way but would have to see someone do it.

I went back to Denise needles and dental floss. Even though the Denise points aren't sharp enough, it is easier to slip through the 3 stitches for decreases. Of course, since the tencel is slippery, I will have to be careful but it is speeding up the process. Am being very careful on the yarnover rows.

2 Comments:

Blogger Eve/Divine Fibers & Yarn said...

Margaret, I've been using the Denise needles all along and dental floss for my lifelines and I'm doing ok. I'm glad the needles are working out for you. I'm just about at the point where I'll have to add the extensions to the cable if I want to take a photo with the shawl spread out. I found that doing the lifeline one row after the yarn over/decrease row works best. I did my first lifeline after I completed chart B but then the floss kept getting caught up in the yarn over row. For the wedding shawl (double strand of alpaca) I'm doing more frequent lifelines.. For the B&B shawl (merino, I'm doing them at the end of each chart B repeat.. may change that as the shawl gets wider... Will take a photo of that one tomorrow...

6:28 PM  
Blogger Margaret Pittman/Heritage Yarns said...

Good idea, Eve as I've experienced the same thing with the floss getting caught up in the yarnovers.

I've lost one of the connectors with the Denise but joined the one I have, not out of necessity but like to have lots of room to scoot the knitting down onto the cable when I put in a lifeline.

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home