Monday, May 08, 2006

Chart A complete!

Wow, wow, wow! What a sense of accomplishment I feel. I finally finished Chart A today, and will block it out tomorrow to take a picture for you all to see. The 2-ply cashmere is a dream to work with, and I finally figured out the rhythm to the pattern. More than anything, I think the IDEA of lace was scaring me more than the REALITY of it. Here are my tips:

1. It is helpful to avoid distractions. For me, this means no friends over to chat. No coffee, no chocolate.

2. Find some soothing music with a good rhythm. Van Morrison's album What's Wrong with this Picture? will now forever be associated with this shawl.

3. Stay away from steel/metal needles when making lace. I nearly had to frog the thing because I thought I might like the points on the metal needles more. Way too slippery for me to control, rather like trying to hold mercury in your hands...

4. Believe you CAN! I look ridiculous in tights and a cape (nix the Wonder Woman image), and me and slinky never appear in the same sentence, but I feel a little bit like the Goddess of Possibility tonight. Thanks Margaret and Mary for your encouragement, and everyone else who has posted to this very helpful blog.


Have a blessed day!

2 Comments:

Blogger Cary ~ My Wool Mitten at Serenity Farms said...

Hurray for you! Yes, you CAN do it ;) Can't wait to see a picture of your shawl...congratulations ;)

Cary

6:31 AM  
Blogger fiberfanatic said...

Woo-Hoo! I'm so PROUD of you! I think it is the most enabling thing to finally realize that you CAN do it! Yes you CAN! YAYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!
Mary

3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home