Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Re: Progress Report

Hmmm, Mary asked how we are doing, those of us still working on our shawls. I wrote on my Serenity Farms blog about the progress of my shawl - if you visit the blog, scroll down to the entry Just In Time to read more about it.

Here is where I am at, basically - My Elegantly Simple Triangular Shawl has been sitting at my side, waiting for me to decide whether she will grow up to be a real shawl or be content as a shoulder scarf. I love the pattern, I love the yarn, I love the color play, I have loved praying for a precious friend (Dale - who is doing so good, Praise God!) while knitting...but I am still not convinced I love this yarn, on these needles, in this pattern - you know, the combination. Its bugging me and so I am trying to ignore my commitement to the thing. Do I continue through the few remaining balls of this one of a kind yarn to complete the shawl, only to find I dislike it even after blocking? Do I stop at the end of this repeat, block it and find out I love it and hate myself for not plodding ahead (and by the way, that would leave me with two balls of the yarn and not enough yardage to make anything else with...) My inclination is to forge ahead and complete the shawl. If nothing else I love the color of the yarn, and the way it feels, even if it does not do justice to the lovely pattern. Sigh....you will just have to stay tuned to see what fickle Cary decides (grin)

Don't you just love seeing Eve's beautiful prize winning shawl though? Congratulations Eve!!!!

I guess I would also have to say that what has been helpful in knitting this project, to me, IS the support and encouragement of everyone else knitting on the shawl ;)

3 Comments:

Blogger fiberfanatic said...

Why not run a slippery waste yarn through the live stitches? Then block it as you would if it were finished? You will SEE how it looks finished and make an informed decision, instead of guessing.

Mary Hunt

6:45 PM  
Blogger Margaret Pittman/Heritage Yarns said...

Cary, I know somewhat how you feel. I love the pattern, I love the yarn (tencel) I am working with but got interested in knitting heart scarves and can't put them down! I think mine is going to be a shoulder wrap and don't lack but a few rows to do that. Now, the discipline to pick it back up and block it!

It's a good thing I don't have but 3 looms as multitudes of needles get me in trouble. hee-hee

6:48 AM  
Blogger Cary ~ My Wool Mitten at Serenity Farms said...

Ohhh, thank you for that idea Mary! I think I may give it a try over the weekend ;)

Margaret, you are so funny! Hey, lets keep poking at each other to keep going and get all finished up, no matter how long we make the shawl, okay?

I will keep everyone posted on the blocking and decision making! It feels good to have a plan ;)

11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home