Sunday, June 04, 2006

Progress

I am well along now having almost finished one ball yarn, but I have a looong way to go. Guess I don't have as much knitting time as some of you. I try to do a few rows a night, but get sleepy even though I love the pattern. My colors are very bright and I hope to have the shawl done for a cruise we are taking the end of the month. I have never blocked anything this big and don't know how long it will take to do. Do I just wet and stretch or do I need to wash? How long will it take to dry? Do I need to buy any special blocking tools? I'll try to take a picture in the next few days and see if I can figure out how to post it.
MJ

2 Comments:

Blogger Margie said...

I, too, plan on using mine for a cruise in September and am very excited making something for myself. Please post a pic when you can.

9:37 PM  
Blogger fiberfanatic said...

MJ,

I wash it before blocking, to remove any dirt that it has "acquired" during knitting. After all, it deserves to be nice and squeaky clean when I'm done!

Drying is a variable, depends on where you live and the weather that day. Is it humid? Is it raining? Is it arid? How well did you remove the water before you left it to dry? All of these things will affect your drying times.

You don't have to buy special blocking tools. Some of us have invested in blocking wires, but that isn't necessary. Here is a good explanation of how to do it with string by the Yarn Harlot:
http://tinyurl.com/c8c4t

Or you can do it by using pins, but you may wind up with slightly uneven edges. By the first time you wear it, those will probably disappear.

As to how to post pictures, look at my April 19th (I think) post, and there is an explanation of how to do that. If you have any questions, please write me at knitsnspins at galliard dot us and I'll help. (Making the appropriate changes in the e-mail address, of course! grin)

Mary

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home