Monday, May 08, 2006

Elegantly Simple Triangular Shawl Knitalong

Elegantly Simple Triangular Shawl Knitalong

Hi,
Eeee-gads!!
Many of you are SO FAR AHEAD! I would like to start this; I think it would be fun to knit along with a bunch of people - all using the same pattern.

I read at least one other person mention giving someone a shawl. I, with a group of other members & friends, started a Shawl Ministry at the church (where I work & attend) in 2004. That year, my friend crochet many (Judy had lukemia - in remission but the doctor told her it would keeping returning - each time worse.) and I started up (it was during the Lenten season, guess I gave up sleep) to knit several simple shawls. You can't carry a complex pattern with you and I can make mistakes talking too much to the others. We call ourselves the Needlers & Hookers. The hardest thing I had to do was create a shawl for my friend Judy - I KNEW it HAD to reach her before she received bone marrow stem cells (I don't think we had that method down yet, esp. with adult stem cells). I did finish it, it was blessed/dedicated in church, and it got to Judy in time for her to see it and enjoy it. After the first injection if stem cells, she had a stroke, then one after another. She died in a few days - one day before her 5oth birthday. I couldn't give that task to anyone else or convey the urgency without upsetting the group and I had a bond with Judy in setting up this group.

It was 2 years March 2006. By the end of 2004, we had 200 items - mostly shawls, laprobes, & scarves. As of last month, April 2006, we completed 600 items - shawls, baby blankets, laprobes. We keep a supply on hand because someone needs a shawl NOW, not 2 or 3 weeks from now. Also, I don't ever want anyone to die without getting a shawl. We believe that there is the "right" shawl for the person who needs it. The local hospital enlisted our group to make small blankets for preemies & still-borns, then said any size. Since last spring, we have given them over 100 items.

I will finished the second one I was working on this round tonight. I have this white one that keeps haunting me; I can't seem to finish it. I guess partly because it's a simple boring pattern and about 5 inches into it, I figured I would have used a larger needle (19, not 17), but refused to start over.

I'm very involved in this ministry at our church- it's taken off! We have been written up in the NY Times, with Janet Barlow - one of the founders of Shawl Ministry, and the 2 local newspapers. At the rate the members are going, we could easily hit 1,000 in less than 3 years! We now give them to couples married by our minister and anyone baptized in our church, besides sickness and death of a loved one. I am always amazed at HOW MUCH a few people can accomplish with dedication. (PS - you can check out our Shawl Ministry at the church website - www.bethelumc.org)

So, I would like to do this knit along, but I can't start - not yet. One thing, there are few knitters in our group, at least dedicated knitters like me. Some switch between crochet and knitting. Me, I enjoy knitting more - could pick it back up easily. I'd have to re-teach myself how to crochet; I learned LEFT-HANDED. (No, and reversing the pattern does NOT always work for lefties - I ended up it a different place than a right-handed crochter and the pattern). With knitting it doesn't really matter; you use both hands. BUT, most (80%) of left-handed knitters knit just like right-handed knitters; I know I do.

I've got the pattern; got TONS of yarns - all weights and colors. I just need time - which I hope to have some next week. This Friday, I get my feet (actually toes) operated on as an out-patient. That's not so bad. Last January, I had my left foot re-built; that's correct RE-BUILT - 2 bones, 2 doctors, 4 1/2 hours. What a recovery time that was!!

So, I'm already behind. The last time I did sometihing like this was a cross-stitch Christmas exchange. I was behind, then I made up my mind to finish all ornaments that I needed to finish the year - in the summer. Years before that, I did a round robin in cross stitch, with only 5 other people, not 11 others. That went OK, still have not framed peice because it looks incomplete. In fact, one of the members held my piece "hostage" to show her cross-stitch group.

I have knitted several shawls in the feather & fan pattern (one of my favorites).

I'll start knitting SOME time, don't know when.

2 Comments:

Blogger fiberfanatic said...

Cassie,

Don't worry about being behind, there are some who either are just getting started or who frog back and start again. Welcome to the blog.

Mary

3:59 PM  
Blogger Margaret Pittman/Heritage Yarns said...

Cassie, it's so nice to have you with us! Read along and enjoy. As Mary says, many of us - me! - are getting quite good at this really good pattern as a dropped stitch sends us to the frog pond. So, see, you are not behind!

Margaret

6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home